The Welsh Government has commissioned Strategic Research & Insight (SRI), an independent Cardiff-based research agency to interview stakeholders to explore establishing a statutory registration or licensing scheme for holiday accommodation operators in Wales. SRI will be speaking to stakeholders in Welsh Government, local authorities and trade associations in Wales, as well as researching best practice in other countries, to consider:
• Whether developing a registration scheme or licensing scheme would be appropriate in Wales
• The options for how a scheme would be operated and delivered at national and/or local level
• Resources required for each of the best options
• How a scheme would support wider areas of Welsh Government policy such as housing and taxation
• Whether a scheme should merge or align with the existing Visit Wales grading scheme or follow the Rent Smart Wales model
They state that there are significant potential benefits of the scheme, including a level playing field for professional and amateur accommodation operators, and a much better oversight of the sector to inform decision-making in tourism, housing, environmental health and taxation. They also request that it will not be possible for SRI to speak to all tourism businesses as part of this work and businesses are being asked to channel comments through a representative body or you can email firstname.lastname@example.org with comments. The WTA will be submitting a response.